Wednesday, September 9, 2009

New Amsterdammit!


Here's a great logo for "Taste Nieuw Amsterdam"; a new twist on restaurant week here in New York City. The original painting, "The Milkmaid", by Johannes Vermeer was hanging over the kitchen sink in the house I lived in from the time I was born until I was about 8 or so, so I think it has added emotional/nostalgia power over me. Additionally, I am drawn to and love anything that plays with the classic NYC motifs, such as the greek-styled iconic blue coffee, or the water towers that sit like urban garden gnomes, or giant wooden gargoyles atop our buildings. Some of these things can be overused, or played-out, if you will, or appear downright cheesy when handled by amateurs, like the tired use of subway car numbers and letters.

(One critical comment, however: I am really not a fan of the treatment of the word, "Nieuw". Ok, you're taking the dutch spelling and still including the english spelling, but it looks terrible that way. They should have done it with sans-serif caps, or perhaps use the blue already in the design, and alternate letter color. They way it is now just doesn't look thoughtful next to the rest of the logo.)

No comments: